Tuesday, March 13, 2018

TEDxIF 2017 A Full Body Experience!




Another year down with TEDxIdahoFalls! I'm still riding the waves of emotion, highs of community and excitement, lows of my own personal anguish that always seem to haunt me, and the enlightenment of all the things I've learned and experienced on this TEDxIdahoFalls
year 4 adventure. Let me take you on my journey this morning...

I had a memory pop up on Facebook that was a song by Blind Melon called Sleepyhouse.

https://youtu.be/OUjOwtbfpwo

I think I went through every single emotion possible listening to this song today, let me explain:

One of the first lines in this song is "I think that I'm going to play with some free-living lads down the street aways away" This brought to me the joy of being a kid again, and having no worries. It reminded me of Parker Kane a speaker and a beat boxer who has been passionate about making noise with his mouth since he was 9. What a wonderful experience for him to be allowed to be noisy throughout his childhood. He is now an online sensation! #lightscamerapassion

In this song it states "I'm feeling better when I'm high" and I always attributed this line to mean drug induced, but after another Saturday of TEDxIF, I'm here to tell you that there are no drugs needed to get high. All you have to do is put yourself out there doing something you're passionate about, and to have a team of supporting friends and family who are accepting, loving and kind is key. Another speaker at TEDxIF was Tammy Lane Guffy, she told me Sunday morning that she was still riding the waves of highs from the event. She spoke about putting the "pre" in appreciation. #preappreciation is thanking someone for what they're going to do before they do it. Tipping your waiter at the beginning of a meal will reset any prejudgments or current mind ramblings that may be running through their heads. What a genius idea to be able preappreciate someone. Everyone has a better experience! Which was led on by the next line in the song:

"a red light shining on a little unity" this took me to Dan Hudock's talk about being patient when speaking with people with disabilities. Dan has a stutter and reminded us all that for him to feel united with the world it takes continual constant effort. He related it to the sinking feeling of drowning. I personally hope that I can help ALL others feel comfortable when speaking to me. Thank you Dan, for the insights into your mind.

Karl Pettit talked about hunger in our own community, how everyday hard working families can have a run of bad luck and be in need of some of the simplest necessities like dinner for the night. Isn't this what we all want in life is to feel like we are accepted and part of this "unity" even in our lowest moments. I believe we all have this basic human right to feel a part of the whole.

Moving from Needs to Wants to what Steven Hatch explained is our Legacy. A legacy of the giving of your heart to others can fulfill your lifetime legacy, and Jeff Peterson's legacy is the internet, he let us know about the future of the internet, and it's all coming from our small town in Idaho called Ammon!

On went this amazing song saying "see the mistakes that I've made, no they don't seem to bother me" which led me to think of several other talks I heard Saturday night. The first one being Daniel Borup a sculptor and high school art teacher who reminded us to again be patient with ourselves and not give up. He sculpted an angry face into a smiling proud face ON STAGE! Simply exhilarating!

Ali Goljahmofrad explained to us that there's an epidemic causing all of us to inherently say to ourselves I'll be happy when..  #happywhenitis I'll be happy when I get that house, I finish school, I get that job, etc. He reminded us that we can only be happy now.

Progressing through the song it goes "as I feel the moon rise, the time that all feels is the right time" this line filled me up with so much joy emphasizing to me that ALL the speakers were telling us to be in the moment? Right now is the Right time!

The song moves along with "The candle flickers at me to say, and in my head I sometimes pray. Are you feeling fine as I was a little child" aren't we all just little children who've forgotten our roots?

Leslie Stewart reminded us how the connection and love we feel with our pets and animals can heal and lead us to healthier lifestyles as well as being a doorway to our inner most feelings that we may not even know are there. Leading us to those feelings of being fine as a child.

My second time around listening to this song was monumental, I was reminded of Craig Green asking the audience to "be" with your music, not just listen to it, but be with it, feel it, absorb it into your soul. This REALLY made the tears flow by reminding me how everything is connected in this world. If we can just sit back for a small moment and be where we are now without expectation. Wow!

Moving directly to and wrapping it all up in a perfect bundle of emotions the laughter came in the form of Karen Eddington's talk about the power of shared laughter. Karen explained how we can remove ourselves from isolation, depression, and that everyday anguish that some of us continually carry when we can share the laughter in our hearts with others. #sharedlaughter

I am so very blessed for the experiences I have had through my part in TEDxIdahoFalls and grateful to be able to share the beauty and Love that can permeate the world when just a few minds join together in unity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment